News

2027: Accord denies backing Otti for re-election

Accord Party

By Luminous Jannamike

ABUJA — Accord Party on Thursday disowned claims that it had thrown its weight behind Alex Otti for a second term, insisting that no organ of the party approved or authorised any move in support of the Abia governor ahead of the 2027 governorship election.

The party said the development was the handiwork of individuals it no longer recognised as members, warning Nigerians not to mistake their actions for the official position of Accord as political horse-trading and early alignments ahead of 2027 begin to gather momentum.

In a statement by Joseph Omorogbe, National Publicity Secretary of Accord, the party said only the National Executive Committee led by Barrister Maxwell Mgbuden, whom it described as the recognised national chairman of the party, has the authority to present candidates or take binding decisions on behalf of Accord.

“The national leadership of Accord did not endorse the re-election of the Abia State governor, Dr Alex Otti for the 2027 gubernatorial poll and did not direct the party’s state chapter to support the ruling Labour Party in the state,” the statement said.

Accord said those behind the move had been expelled from the party in 2024 over alleged anti-party activities and therefore lacked the legitimacy to speak or act for the party.

The party said it was unfortunate that Governor Alex Otti had, in its view, fallen victim to political actors roaming the democratic space in search of vulnerable politicians to exploit during the election season.

Accord also said the governor ought to have verified the authentic leadership of the party through the Independent National Electoral Commission, noting that the INEC website recognises Maxwell Mgbuden as the party’s national chairman.

The party urged Nigerians to disregard the claim that it had backed Alex Otti’s re-election bid, saying the move was aimed at creating disaffection, discord, and division within its ranks.

“It is obvious that non-members of a political party can not speak, act, or endorse any aspirant for any elective position on behalf of the authentic leadership of the party,” Accord said.

The party also urged journalists to verify the leadership of political parties with the Independent National Electoral Commission before publishing reports so as not to mislead the public.

Accord reaffirmed that the party remained united under the leadership of Maxwell Mgbuden and ready for the coming elections.