Kaduna – The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), on Thursday in Kaduna said only 15 per cent of candidates sitting for its examinations in 2013 would use the Computer Based Test.
Its Registrar, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde stated this in Kaduna during a campaign to promote the newly introduced method of examination.
The campaign was conducted at the State Ministry for Education, Kaduna State University, Kaduna Polytechnic, National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) and the National Teachers’ Institute.
He said the sensitisation campaign was designed to educate candidates sitting for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME), on how to use the computer.
The registrar said the computer based test would only become compulsory for all candidates in 2015.
Ojerinde said that the programme was designed to migrate candidates from the use of paper and pencil in examinations to full usage of computers.
He said it would also guarantee faster release of results, assuring that candidates who sat for the examinations using the new method will receive their results 30 minutes after the examination.
The registrar added that it would also “eliminate cases of incomplete results or result blackout”.
“ It will ensure prompt delivery of raw scores and will also check examination malpractice.“
The JAMB officials had earlier visited Lagos and Rivers States for the campaign during which leaflets and other educational materials were distributed.
At the state university, the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Barnabas Qurix said the institution, which serves as venue for UTME, was fully ready for the commencement of the computer based test.
On its part, the NBTE Executive Secretary, Dr Mas’ud Kazaure, said the board would ensure that all polytechnics and technical institutions under it are equipped with relevant facilities for the test. (NAN)