Health

COVID-19: 2.3m registered for vaccination in less than 24 hrs — NPHCDA

Uganda will import five million doses of AstraZeneca vaccines next month after the discovery of new COVID-19 variants in the country, President Yoweri Museveni has said. In a televised address to the nation late Friday, Museveni said the vaccines will be used to vaccinate at least 80 per cent of the 5.5 million elderly. People below 50 years, with underlying medical conditions that are at high risk of contracting the novel coronavirus, will also be vaccinated. Uganda targets to vaccinate more than 21.9 million people who face the highest risk of the infection, including the health workers, teachers, social workers and security personnel, elderly and those with underlying medical conditions. “The government is working hard to ensure we bring another five million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine before the end of May to complete the threshold vaccination and ensure that those vaccinated before getting the second booster dose,’’ said Museveni. “Vaccines are the most effective intervention we have against COVID-19. “The government and partners are working hard to bring vaccines to most adult Ugandans to protect them and to support us to reopen the economy and get back all our children to school.’’ Henry Mwebesa, Director-General of Health Services, last week said Uganda is scheduled to receive some two million more doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines in May through the COVAX facility. Uganda has so far received 964,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines from the COVAX vaccine sharing programme and the Indian government. As of April 16, a total of 220,893 people had been inoculated with the first jab of AstraZeneca vaccine against COVID-19, according to the Ministry of Health statistics. The country has reported the emergence of the highly transmissible COVID-19 variants which were first reported in Britain, South Africa and Nigeria. The ministry’s data showed that as of April 16, Uganda had registered a cumulative total of 41,340 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 40,898 recoveries and 338 deaths.

The National Primary Health Care Development Agency, NPHCDA, said, yesterday, that at least 2.3 million Nigerians have indicated interest to take the COVID-19 vaccines, dispelling fears that people may not want to be vaccinated.

It would be recalled that Nigeria received the first batch of 3.9 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccines on Tuesday.

Although there are fears over the safety of the vaccines, Executive Director of NPHCDA, Dr Faisal Shuaib, who spoke in an interview on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, said there was enthusiasm in Nigeria over the arrival of the vaccines.

He said:  “I can tell you that there is a lot of excitement about the vaccine arrival. I know some people have their concerns and we are trying but I want to give you an example of the enthusiasm that Nigerians are showing around, wanting to take these vaccines.

“Around midday on Monday when we launched the e-registration platform, in less than 24 hours, we already had up to 2.3m Nigerians, who had registered. And that number continues to increase.”

While the arrival of the first batch of vaccines is a major boost in Nigeria’s fight against the disease, which has been contracted by over 150,000 people in the nation, Faisal said there was still much work to be done.

“So, we take that very seriously and this is why we are going to be working very hard. Yes, the vaccines are here, but there is even harder work that needs to go on to make sure we deliver the vaccines into the arms of Nigerians in a way that is respectful, in a way that is stress-free,’’ he said.

READ ALSO: World won’t be done with COVID-19 this year ― WHO

He explained that the agency had put plans in place for the rollout of the vaccine, adding that it was only waiting for the approval of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC.

Priority group

The NPHCDA boss also dismissed rumours that the vaccines had been allotted to the high and mighty in the society, maintaining that frontline health workers and those exposed to the virus would be given priority in the administration of the jabs.

He said: “I will tell you categorically that we have not allotted these vaccines to the rich people or to the people in the urban areas, absolutely not. Mr President has been very clear on this.

“Mr Vice President has also added his voice and the chairman of the Presidential Task Force has communicated this in the Presidential Task Force media briefings.

“On Friday, we are going to be launching the vaccines, we are going to be rolling them out at the treatment centres at the national hospital. Our priority will be the health workers that are frontline. We are going to be giving these vaccines to first responders,’’ Dr. Faisal said.

Aside from health workers, he noted that some leaders will be vaccinated to convince more Nigerians to take the shots.

He said: “We are going to be looking at those strategic leaders like Mr President and the Vice-President, those people who will also want to take the vaccines publicly, so they can motivate the followers to take the vaccines, to convince them that the vaccines are very safe.”

Vanguard News Nigeria