Breaking News
Translate

Fire guts 2-storey building in Lagos

BY MONSUR  OLOWOOPEJO

LAGOS—A two-storey building at 13, Bashir Street, Ojodu Local Council Development Area, LCDA, was Sunday, gutted by fire destroying property yet to be estimated.

This came barely five days after a three-storey building under construction on the same street collapsed, killing two persons and injuring several workers who were working on the structure.

Vanguard gathered that the fire, which started at 4pm, was from a gas cooker in a kitchen on the second floor of the building.

It was also learnt that out of panic, the occupants of the building jumped through windows of their apartments to safety.

Confirming the fire incident, the Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, who spoke to Vanguard on phone, said that the fire may have been caused by the fire from a gas cooker because a gas cylinder went up in flames from the kitchen on the second floor.

Fadipe said: “The fire started from the kitchen. They must have been cooking and left it unattended to because we found a gas cooker that was in use in the kitchen of the second floor.”

The director said occupants of the building had been asked to vacate the premises to avert loss of lives, adding that the building was no longer safe for habitation.

He said: “Right now, due to the intensity of the fire and the impact of the water during the rescue operation, the building must have been affected.

“We don’t want another tragedy in the place. So residents have been evacuated.

“The lady that jumped from the top-most floor had been attended to by sympathisers and other emergency agencies.”

Fadipe appealed to Lagos residents to be safety-conscious and avoid things that could cause fire accidents in their homes and at workplaces.


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.