News

November 3, 2009

Mimiko intervenes in Ondo Assembly’s crisis

By Dayo Johnson
AKURE—Governor Olusegun Mimiko has decided to intervene in the crisis that engulfed the Ondo State House of Assembly over the insistence of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP-dominated House not to swear in a newly elected member, Akindele Adeniyi as the governor has scheduled a meeting with the 25 lawmakers.

The meeting would be the second in two weeks to find solution to the crisis which had made the Lawmakers to suspend legislative proceedings in the past three weeks.

Vanguard gathered that the governor has extended his hand of fellowship to the PDP lawmakers in a bid to make them return to the assembly.

It was learnt that the lawmakers who have traveled out of the state are to return for the meeting and probably resume this week, depending on the outcome of the meeting with the governor

It would be recalled that the Federal High Court has paved the way for the swearing-in of the newly elected member following its decision on the matter last week.

Adeniyi is therefore likely to be sworn in immediately the members resume their legislative duties.

The lawmakers suspended sitting indefinitely following the invasion of the Assembly by thugs who threatened to deal with them for playing politics with the swearing in of the member.

The lawmakers said they would not resume until the governor can guarantee their safety.

Speaking through the Chairman, House Committee on Information, Mr Kele Boledeoku, the lawmakers expressed concern over the invasion of thugs to disrupt legislative proceedings.

Boledeoku said their action would continue until the state governor can guarantee the safety of members.
He declared that they cannot operate under the chaotic situation which endangers their lives.

The Chairman denied that their action was done out of malice or partisan politics but acting according to the standing order of the House.

Bolodeoku said the house could not inaugurate the member-elect because of constitutional hindrances.
He pointed out that after the invasion members of the house had gone underground for fear of attack by thugs that invaded the Assembly.

The Chairman said “The house was incapacitated and properly prevented from doing its constitutional duties when thugs and hoodlums invaded the house and disrupted the activities of the day”.

According to him “the house was unable to inaugurate Adeniyi because there was a pending suit against him and going ahead to swear him in would be against the Standing Order of the house.

He said section 29(3) of the house states that the house should not entertain any matter that was pending in a competent law court.

The Chairman pointed out that the house had already been served with the writ of summon and the assembly was unable to inaugurate Adeniyi based on the receipt of the summon.

Reacting to the development the Speaker of the House, Mr. Taofiq Abdussalam said “the house was constrained by the provisions of its Standing Order.

According to him, the issues relating with the pending suit did not relate with the provision of Section 285 of the constitution.

He said the house could not act contrary to the constitution and its standing order, saying that Adeniyi should approach the court to clear himself.

Abdusalam expressed concern over the alleged importation of suspected thugs to the assembly that was supposed to be the symbol of democracy.