By Dennis Agbo
ENUGU — The Nigeria Democratic Congress senatorial candidate for Enugu North bye-election, Okwudili Ossai, has expressed concern over the reported exclusion of his name and party from the ballot for the June 20 bye-election.
The bye-election was scheduled by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to fill the vacant seat left by the late Senator Okey Ezea, who passed away last year.
Ossai said he believes both he and his party met all necessary requirements for participation in the election and should be included on the ballot.
He urged INEC to review the situation and ensure full compliance with electoral guidelines.
“The electoral body is expected to act as a neutral referee in the process and ensure all qualified parties and candidates are duly presented to voters,” he said.
He stated that the party had notified INEC of its primaries and submitted relevant documentation supporting his candidacy.
“We have fulfilled all the requirements expected of us. INEC was informed about our candidacy and our primaries,” he said.
Ossai disclosed that the matter has been taken to court, with a hearing scheduled for Wednesday, as the party seeks clarification on its status in the election.
He expressed confidence that the issue would be resolved and that his participation in the bye-election would be confirmed ahead of the poll scheduled for June 28.
Disclaimer
Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.