Breaking News
Translate

COVID-19: Australia Open cancelled, first time since WW2

Kindly Share This Story:

 

COVID-19: Australia Open cancelled, first time since WW2

The Australia Open will be absent from the sports calendar for the first time since World War Two this season.

This came to be after Golf Australia and the Professional Golfers Association (PGA) of Australia cancelled all of their top events on Friday because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 105th edition of the country’s oldest and most prestigious tournament, scheduled to take place at Melbourne’s Kingston Heath Golf Club, had already been postponed from its usual slot in November.

With Melbourne still in lockdown and access to Australia still extremely difficult for foreigners, however, the governing bodies decided to cancel both men and women’s Opens.

ALSO READ: EDO POLL RIGGING PLOT: Mike Igini in the eyes of Clark, Amaechi, Urhoghide, Ighure

They have also cancelled the Australian PGA Championship.

“It’s unprecedented and a real blow for Australian golf and its fans,” PGA of Australia chief executive Gavin Kirkman said in a news release.

“We have collectively spent months in exhaustive consultation with all relevant authorities and our sanctioning partners to try to find a way to stage all three events safely.

“But even with multiple contingency plans, it has reached a point where decisions have to be made and this, regrettably, is the one we’ve had to take.”

ALSO READ: Twitter creates #EndSARS emoji in solidarity for Nigerian youths’ protest

The Australian PGA Championship, which was first played in 1905 and is co-sanctioned by the European Tour, had already been moved from December to February at Brisbane’s Royal Queensland.

The governing bodies said they considered a raft of measures to get the tournaments up and running, including bringing players into a biosecure bubble and restricting crowds, but the options proved “unviable”.

“The events rely on significant support from players and tours around the world.

“So, given current quarantine restrictions, we believe the field strength of all three events would be severely compromised,” said Golf Australia’s new chief executive James Sutherland.

NAN

Vanguard

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!