By Luminous Jannamike
ABUJA – Tuesday afternoon, fire engulfed the Federal Character Commission Headquarters, Abuja, Vanguard authoritatively reports.
Vanguard sources at the scene, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that the fire was caused by an electrical fault, which resulted in enormous damage to the Data Centre of the commission.
“I first noticed the puffs of thick black smoke oozing out of the Server room of the Data Centre, this afternoon, when I decided to go downstairs to get food to eat. So, I raised first alarms as soon as I made this observation.
“Solar inverter were being installed at the Data Centre but we the staff of the Management Information Systems (MIS) who have worked there since the Commission moved to this building were not carried along.
“The Corporate Services Departrment of the Commission said they would use direct labour for the on-going installations. So, we all vacated our offices and operated from our boss’ office to make room for the labourers who were hired to do the installations.
“So, I suspect it was wrong electrical connections somewhere within the Server room that caused the fire outbreak,” the source said.
Another source said: “The extent of the damage cannot be ascertained at the moment because of the amount of choking smoke that still fills the Data centre but we can tell that it was colossal looking at the amount of high-tech equipment and electrical appliances in the Server room when the fire began.“
Engr. Saleh Ahmadu, the Head of MIS at the Commission, told Vanguard that the fire initially defied attempts to quench it, but with the activation of the fire alarm system and the prompt response of the fire service, the inferno was put out.
“The staffs of the commission have all been evacuated and the building is calm as we speak,
He, however, said the Commission was awaiting detailed information on the extent of loss incurred by the commission but promised that details of the incident will be made available to the public as soon as it was ready.