Breaking News
Translate

Five buildings razed in Calabar fire

CALABAR—No fewer than five buildings on Asuquo Abasi Street, Calabar, Cross Rivers State were, yesterday, razed by fire, destroying property worth millions of naira.

fire

Vanguard gathered that the fire, which started at about 1:30p.m., was due to an electrical fault from a structure on the street, which later spread to other buildings.

An eyewitness, Mrs. Grace Bisong, told Vanguard that they noticed smoke from the building when power was restored to the area.

She said: “It was when the fire grew that we discovered it was coming from Ette’s house. But it was already too late, so we started making calls because no one was in the compound when it started.

“No one had the fire service number. It was one University of Calabar, UNICAL, student that called the father, who then alerted Quick Intervention Squad, QIS.

“We still thank God that nobody died although nothing was brought out of the building where the inferno started from. The timely intervention of QIS helped the other people living in other affected houses to bring out some of their property.”

One of the victims and a student of UNICAL, Miss Veronica Ndifon, told Vanguard that it was by God’s grace that they brought out their things.

She said: “We  thank God the QIS came in record time. It would have been worse than what you are seeing now.”

Meanwhile, owner of the house where the fire started, Ette Fidelis, was still in shock when our reporter visited the scene as neighbours were trying to console him for his loss.

A tenant in one of the ravaged houses, Mrs.  Ngozi Ibeamalu, appealed to the State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, to come to their aid as they no longer had a place to lay their head.

She said: “I have three children, including my husband. As I speak, I have not been able to get him on the phone.

“He does not even know what is happening because I am just coming back from bush market, only to discover that our house is gone. Please government should come and help us.

“Two of my children went for holiday in my parents place, while this one I am carrying is the last.

“I am just confused right now. I am happy that they travelled. Otherwise only God knows what would have happened.”

The fire was, however, brought under control by men from Quick Intervention Squad.

 


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.