Breaking News

Gang rape: Police arrest LASU student

By Evelyn Usman

Looking exhausted and pale, apparently unable to fathom how she managed to make it to her Festac home last Friday, after she was gang -raped in an uncompleted building on Ago palace way, in Okota area of Isolo, Lagos, Sandy , as she is fondly called, recalled with pain what she described as the worst experience she has ever had in her 20 years of existence.

On closer observation, the Anambra state- born bar attendant in a popular hotel in Festac Town was discovered to have visible mark of bite on her right shoulder and chest,coupled with bruises on other parts of her body, an injury she reportedly sustained in her bid to free herself from the rapists.

Unfortunately, her strength could not match those of the two men, as one of them reportedly pinned her two hands down while the other pinned her two legs to the ground as he unfastened her belt. At a point, she became weak and watched helplessly as one of the men had carnal knowledge of her against her will.

As if that was not enough , the principal perpetrator, a 200 level student of the Lagos State University, identified as Olushola Owolabi , took some photographs of Sandy in her nude , threatening to paste it on her facebook for the whole world to see if she revealed what transpired to anybody including the Police.

the suspects

Narrating her four hour-ordeal in the hands of Olushola and his alleged accomplice, Tayo Adewale, Sandy said, “ Shola happens to be a casual friend and we have been discussing on phone before he took advantage of me. He is not my boyfriend and the relationship is just a platonic one.I had problem in my place of work because I did not show up owing to my father’s illness and I was sacked.

In the course of my looking for a job , I went to Surulere last Friday and on my way back home, Shola called me on the phone and invited me over to Century hotel, Ago. I went because I needed someone to pour my heart out to. But when I got there, he asked me to follow him to his house for him to change into another cloth and I did, unaware that he had something else up his sleeve.

On reaching his house, he started delaying and before I knew it, he approached me, wanting to fondle me but I refused. Then all of a sudden, he started hitting me and dragging my cloth while his friend, Tayo started unzipping my trouser.

He has never asked me out before, neither have I collected money from him. He usually comes to buy drink from the hotel I work.

He started right from 3pm and ended at about 7pm non stop . All my plea fell on deaf ears. He even brought out a knife and threatened to kill me saying nothing would happen at the end of the day.

When he was done, I could not wear my cloths because they were in shreds. He gave me his to wear home and warned me not to tell anyone threatening that if I did, he would paste the picture of my nude in my face book for all to see.

I can not tell how I managed to get home because before then, I was sick . But I summoned courage and told my cousin and together we went to the hospital where I was given some medication.

Policemen from Festac division were reportedly contacted , consequent upon which the Divisional Police Officer, Mr Usman Ndanbabo, a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), detailed some of his men to effect the suspects arrest. But only one of them, Tayo was arrested on Sunday while the principal suspect, Olushola reportedly fled his home.

But the DPO, as gathered, directed his men to keep watch over the premises , until Olusola surfaced Wednesday , only to be arrested. Olushola who admitted to have actually forced Sandy against her will, claimed he did it out of love for her.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.