Breaking News

Norway attacks: Justice minister hails police…as killer could get 30 years

OSLO-(AFP) – Norwegian Justice Minister Knut Storberget on Tuesday hailed the “fantastic” work done by police after meeting senior officers in the wake of last week’s twin attacks in which 76 people were killed.

“I had the opportunity to thank police in Oslo and other districts and other organs for their fantastic work,” Storberget told journalists.

…as Norway killer could get 30 years

Norwegian police could seek to charge the man who says he carried out last week’s killings of 76 people with crimes against humanity, which would carry a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison.

The new charge against Anders Behring Breivik would mean he could serve more than the current 21 years he faces for terrorism-related charges after Friday’s twin bombing and shooting, a term that many Norwegians feel is not long enough.

Prosecutor Christian Hatlo told Tuesday’s Aftenposten newspaper that the new charge, which became possible after entering into law in 2008, was currently only “a possibility”.

“Police have so far cited… the law on terrorism but seeking other charges has not been excluded,” police spokesman Sturla Henreiksboe told AFP.

“No final decision has yet been taken,” he said.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.