News

Edo Senator backs Okpebholo’s closure of school over set concerns

Edo Senator backs Okpebholo’s closure of school over set concerns

By Ozioruva Aliu, Benin CITY

THE Senator representing Edo Central Senatorial District, Sen. Joseph Ikpea on Thursday commended Governor Monday Okpebholo’s decision to shut down some secondary schools in the state following a security concern raised by the Department of State Security (DSS) on the plan by some bandits to attack some schools in the state.

Ikpea said that Governor Okpebholo’s decision demonstrate an uncommon leadership and full grasp of the elementary principle of governance that placed a premium over the wellbeing of the people.

In a statement made available to journalists in Benin City, Ikpea said that with the situation of security in the nation, it was just ideal that the governor did not treat the security red alert with kids’ gloves.

He said “The decision by the Governor Okpebholo to act swiftly when he got the information goes to show his good and uncommon leadership and understanding of the principle of governance which stipulates that the government must seek the wellbeing of the people at all times.

“There is no doubt the decision to close the school at this period comes with its pain given that students across the nation are writing one national or sub-continental examination, it is just ideal that the governor closed the schools instead of waiting for the evil act to be perpetrated.” Senator Ikpea stated.

He also called on Nigerians, particularly his Edo Central Senatorial District constituents to be vigilant and report any strange activity in their areas to security agencies and concerned authorities.

“It is pertinent at this juncture to call on Nigerians to be more vigilant. The issue of security, given the development in our dear nation today, has gone beyond it being the exclusive preserve of the government. All citizens must be involved and take the matter as part of their civic responsibilities to the Nigerian State.

“I want to appeal to the people of Edo Central not to consider the alert as raised by the Department of State Security as the problem of Edo North Senatorial District because the security advisory did not mention Edo Central.

“It is obvious that the undesirable elements responsible for this dastardly act of kidnapping don’t discriminate against tribe and region. Therefore, our people must be conscious of their environment, study all strange faces that come into their neighbourhood and take the bold step by reporting any strange activity around them to security agents and the authorities concerned. We should not wait till it happens before we act”. He counselled.

It would be recalled that in a leaked memo from the Edo State Command of Department of State Services (DSS), addressed to the State Commandant of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), the intelligence agency said it had uncovered a plan to abduct students in public schools in Edo North Senatorial District.

The document also claimed that a communication between two suspects where the plot was being planned was intercepted and that an individual had been arrested who was found in one of the public schools in the area apparently on a surveillance mission.