News

February 18, 2011

PDP condemns Osun govt over plan to take N25bn loan

BY GBENGA OLARINOYE
OSOGBO — Osun State Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has condemned the decision of the State Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola to obtain a loan of N25 billion, calling on the State House of Assembly to disapprove the government proposal.

The party in a statement by its acting Chairman, Otunba Sunday Ojo Williams, said it could only laugh at the deceit of the ACN which last year launched a vicious attack on the Olagunsoye Oyinlola administration for seeking an N18 billion loan.

He said, “the ACN said then that there was no need for the loan and that N18 billion was too much to take. Now, it wants to take N25 billion even with Oyinlola leaving N8.3 billion unspent in the earlier loan. It is even good that the ACN government admitted that Oyinlola had, within four months, repaid N2.4 billion.

“ACN said Oyinlola’s N18.3 billion loan was toxic, now it wants to take N25 billion loan, what should the people call this? The emerging scenario is very tragic and unfortunate. What we could see in the whole thing is that the ACN government has consistently demonstrated that it has no clue at all to whatever it promised it would do if allowed to govern Osun State. The people can see who is trying to fool them now.”

The Party however advised the House of Assembly to ask questions on this loan and direct the ACN government to specify the actual projects to be executed with the loan and the constituencies cum Local Governments where they will be.

Mr Aregbesola had yesterday intimated the state House of Assembly of the intention of his government to obatain a credit line from First Bank of Nigeria Plc.

According to a letter sent to the house, the loan would be used to refund the #18 billion the immediate past administration of Olagunsoye Oyinlola got from the United Bank for Africa Plc, and provision of infrastuctures in all the 30 Local Government Areas of the state.