News

June 16, 2024

Edo 2024: Defections cannot determine outcome – Enoghama

Edo 2024: Defections cannot determine outcome – Enoghama

By Ozioruva Aliu

A Chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Victor Enoghama has said the gale of defections rocking the two major political parties in the state, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the All Progressives Congress (APC) would not determine the outcome of the September 21 governorship election.

A statement by Enoghama on Sunday in Benin City also accused the APC of allegedly relying on federal might to win the election and that they were using it to force defections.

Part of the statement reads “The dominant political parties,  the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), the Labour Party  (LP) and the All Progressive Congress (APC) have thrown their hats into the ring.

“Each Party and their candidates are employing every tactic to woo the electorate since democracy is a  system of government that is anchored on numbers.

“However,  while the PDP and its candidates are deploying the conventional strategies to harvest the majority of votes come September,  by reaching out to the electorate and selling their manifesto to the people, their  counterparts  especially the  APC  are relying on the federal might, and the defection of disgruntled politicians as a tool for wrestling power.

“The PDP and its candidates ( Dr. Asue Ighodaro and Barr. Osarodion Ogie ), no doubt, will leverage on the sterling performance of Governor Godwin Obadeki to harvest as many votes as possible.

“Governor Obaseki has been described as the best governor in Nigeria by many and in different fora and Edo people are looking forward to a successor that will improve on the Obaseki’s achievements.

“Also going for the PDP candidates are their capacity, experiences, and credentials which stand them miles apart with their  opponents.  On the other hand, it is a tale of disappointment for the APC and its candidates. 

“Over burdened by the baggage of bad fate occasioned by the harsh economic policies of the APC led federal government,  the Party and its candidates in Edo State have resorted to “federal might” and the reception of disgruntled PDP members into their fold.

“What the APC does not understand  is the fact that only 20% of politicians constitute the electorate . The remaining 80% are the real voters who will be going to the polls to vent their anger on the APC over the untold harsh it has subjected them to.

 “And this again leads one to question the characters of the decampees. From Edo North to Central and to Edo South,  the list of defectors is replete with names whose motives are either propelled by greed or entitlement mentality. These are characters whose disagreements with the party and the governor are not people centered but self serving.

  ‘I therefore, submit that as the countdown for the Edo State governorship election begins, the  performance of the ruling  PDP in the state,  the experiences, , capacity and credentials of its candidates will attract the needed votes for the PDP candidates to achieve victory and consolidate on the achievements of governor Obaseki against the outdated strategy of the APC  that is  relying on the ” federal might” and the defection of  embittered PDP members to book a place in Osadebe Avenue.

Unfortunately for the APC,, the defection of politicians does not determine the outcome of an election .”