By Evelyn Usman
THE father of five who allegedly poisoned his wife’s food and slit her throat for ritual purpose at Araromi Street in the densely populated Oshodi area of Lagos, on May 27, 2016 , is dead. The deceased, Jafaru Sougie, who hailed from Etsako Central Local Government Area of Edo state, died at the Police Hospital Ikeja after fruitless effort by doctors to save his life.
Late Sougie, was reported to have eaten from the poisoned food with his wife, Roselyn, in a bid to rule out any suspicion. This was because he had reportedly never eaten from same plate with his wife for several years until that fateful day.
After allegedly slitting his wife’ s throat, he was said to have taken some black substance which was meant to neutralise the poison. But when one of his children, Richmond (16) woke up to ease himself, he met his father vomiting some black substance in the bathroom and immediately rushed to their room to alert his aunt, one Veronica Imomoh.
However on reaching the bedroom Veronica met her sister in the pool of her blood, stone dead. She raised the alarm which alerted neighbours, consequent upon which Jafaru was arrested and the corpse of his late wife removed to the morgue by policemen from Akinpelu division. Saturday Vanguard gathered that while in the hospital, none of Jafaru’s relatives visited him. One of them who spoke on condition of anonymity , said : “ It is a pity that Jafaru is dead. He would have lived to know the outcome of everything, though he denied doing it . But none of us went to visit him at the hospital because most of us don’t live around Lagos”.
Saturday Vanguard further gathered that the orphaned children are presently with their uncle, while the eldest a student in the university, is still in school and the youngest, (8) is in Lagos. Confirming his death, the Lagos State Police Command’s Public Relations Officer, Superintendent of Police ,SP Dolapo Badmos, said the deceased never recovered right from the day he was arrested. “I confirmed that the man died this morning at the hospital. He has been on admission since then. He did not recover from the poisonous substance he took. He was also not taking his medications. All attempt to rescue him so that investigations can be conducted failed,” said Badmos.