Breaking News

Monarch, wife, killed in Kaduna

Despite the 24 hour curfew imposed in some parts of Kaduna State, the tension in the southern part of Kaduna State heightened yesterday, with the murder of the village head of Apiakashi in Takum District of Fanstuma Chiefdom, Chief Bulus Adamu and his wife, Ladi, allegedly by unknown Fulani gunmen, who also left two other persons critically wounded.

The Chiefdom, is about three kilometres, South of Kafanchan town.

Consequently, hundreds of half naked women from Kafanchan and other surrounding areas, marched through the streets in the early hours of yesterday, denouncing rising cases of unprovoked murder as well as the humiliation of innocent people by soldiers deployed to the area to maintain peace.

Saturday Vanguard reliably gathered that they thronged the main Kafanchan Police Station with bare-breasts to protest the alleged atrocities of soldiers, and blaming some unidentified Fulani for killing their people.

State Police Commissioner, Mallam Bala Nasarawa confirmed the two incidents in a telephone interview with Saturday Vanguard, just as a source said that police men locked the gate to the police station while soldiers watched the women, who chanted Christain mourning hyms as sign of bereavement.

Mallam Nasarawa said, “It is true that some women are protesting against what has been happening here since peace left this town. But it is peaceful demonstration. It not true that all of them are leaving their breasts open. Many are wearing their clothes complete. But some have refused to cover their own.’’

A native of Apiakashi, who spoke to Saturday Vanguard on the death of the village head and his wife on the condition of anonymity said that the couple was killed at about 2am in the morning.

’’We heard gunshots in the early hours of this morning (yesterda), but we thought it was soldiers shooting to scare people who may have been wandering.

’’But later, we heard the voices of our people who were shouting and calling for help.

’’That was when we knew that we were under attack. Some of our men then mobilised ourselves and went on a rescue mission while others were sent to go and inform the police and soldiers.’’

Meanwhile, Police Commissioner Nasarawa has relocated to Kafanchan in a bid to ensure that the situation was brought under control.



Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.