Breaking News

27-yr-old man kills self in Enugu

By Tony Edike

ENUGU—Tragedy struck in Achara Layout area of Enugu State Capital, at the weekend,  when a 27 year-old man, Mr. Edwin Ejike,  shot himself  in a bizarre circumstance the police described as suicide.

The State Police Command, said yesterday, that investigation into the incident, which occurred last Friday, had commenced but no arrest has been made.

An eyewitness told Vanguard, that Ejike, who was staying with his parents, had returned from Port Harcourt, River State,  few days back with a serious complaint, that he was duped of a large sum of money, a development which he claimed had made  live very miserable for him.

He was said to have told his parents that there was no reason for him to continue living, since the evil men had deprived him of all his earnings. It was alleged that he had threatened kill himself.

But Vanguard learnt that his parents pleaded with him not to embark on such act,  with a promise to give him enough money to revive his business,  even if they had to borrow the money.

It was learnt that he had reportedly threatened that if the money was not provided before 11 am of that fateful day to enable him travel back to Port Harcourt, he would do something crazy.

Unfortunately, the parents could not meet the deadline, as they failed to lay hands on the money after several efforts made to borrow from neighbours.

It was gathered that at exactly 11 am,  when his parents broke the disappointing news to him, Ejike became very furious and warned them to leave the house for him in their own interest. “Few minutes after the parents went downstairs,  his younger sister came in but he deceived her by asking her to go downstairs and buy an undisclosed item for him. Before she could get downstairs,  a sound of gunshot was heard from the flat,” the eyewitness said.

The parents and sympathizers,  who rushed upstairs only saw Ejike lying in the pool of his own blood, as he reportedly used his father’s  double-barrel gun to shoot himself on the head.

The State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ebere Amaraizu, who confirmed the incident to Vanguard, yesterday said “the 27 year old Ejike Edwin at about 11.45am on October 30, 2009 took his father’s double-barrel gun, shot himself on the head and died immediately.”


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.