ADO-EKITI—GOVERNOR Kayode Fayemi, yesterday, expressed shock over the trailer accident in Iworoko-Ekiti, which claimed the lives of 12 people.
The governor, who had earlier directed the Deputy Governor, Otunba Bisi Egbeyemi, to pay condolence visit to the community on Sunday morning, said in a statement that he was saddened and devastated by the news of the fatal accident.
A trailer conveying rice meant for campaign in Ondo State had failed its brake and killed 12 people and destroying many shop in the market.
Fayemi, who commiserated with the community, noted that many lives have been lost to the recklessness of trailer drivers, adding that government might be compelled to re-introduce some old laws and previous arrangements to deal with the menace.
The governor said Ekiti State Trafic Management Agency, EKSTMA, will henceforth be more rigid in its enforcement of street trading laws.
He said market stalls were constructed in various local government areas in order to discourage street trading, adding that government will now accelerate completion of those markets and build new ones to avoid a repeat of these tragedies.
The governor said: “This is a huge tragedy and a painful experience, not only for the families of the victims but for all of us.
“We share with the people of Iworoko and families of the victims the pain and sorrow of the unfortunate development.”
“Our prayer is that God will be with you during this painful period. Government will also look at areas of support with a view to ameliorating the pains.”