Breaking News

UNIZIK students protest colleague’s death

Kindly Share This Story:

By Vincent Ujumadu

AWKA—STUDENTS of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, yesterday took to the streets ro protest the death of their colleagues due to what they described as neglect on the part of the management of the insitution’s medical center.


The deceased, Francis Chinedu Madubuobi, a 400 level student of the Department of Applied Microbiology and Brewing, reportedly collapsed while playing basketball. The protesters, who marched round major streets of the state capital in their black attire, chanted solidarity songs    and accused the nuniversity’s management of neglect.

The students, who caused traffic gridlock on the streets of Awka said: “The medical personnel at the university’s medical centre where the deceased was rushed while he was still gasping for breath did not do enough to save his life.

“We were inside the ambulance holding Francis’ foot. It was damn cold; his eyes were already open. We were scared. We knew that only a miracle could save him since he had no pulse. On getting to Amaku, the doctors saw that it was already too late,” the students said amidst sobs.

The committee of faculty presidents of the university, in a statement, described the incident as worrisome, saying it was the second time a student of the institution died in similar circumstances at the university’s medical centre.

“The event leading to his (Francis) death is one that is extremely worrisome to students of this institution as it could happen to any one of us or our close friends,” they told Vanguard.

However, the Director of Information of the university, Dr. Emmanuel Ojukwu refuted the report alleging negligence on the part of the institution, saying the deceased was brought in without a pulse to the university’s medical centre.

He said the deceased was immediately taken to Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching Hospital, Amaku where he was confirmed dead.

His statement read in part: “The deceased was quickly rushed to the University’s Medical Centre, but had no pulse upon examination. This means that he had died before being brought him to the University Medical Centre.”


Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!