Breaking News
Translate

Military working to end reign of terror, says CAS as Suicide bomber kills 8 in Borno mosque

By Ndahi Marama

Maiduguri—Borno State Police Commissioner, Damian Chukwu, yesterday, said a male suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber attacked a mosque, killing eight worshippers, including a Central Primary School Headmaster, in Goni Modu Lashibe Jummaa Mosque of Konduga Local Government Area, during morning prayers.

 

Another victim of the blast

Konduga is South-East and about 40 kilometres drive from Maiduguri, the state capital, which has witnessed series of deadly attacks by insurgents.

Addressing journalists in his office, Chukwu said the suspect, who disguised as a worshiper also injured six persons, adding “the suicide bomber took advantage of the dawn morning prayers in the mosque, detonated his improvised explosive devices, IEDs.

“One of the seven injured, however, gave up the ghost this morning (yesterday), while being transported to the state’s Specialists Hospital, Maiduguri.”

He said the area of Mairani, where the incident happened had been sanitised, calling on the public to be “security conscious” on suspicious movements and activities of individuals and groups of people.

Meanwhile, the Police, with support of Civilian JTF and hunters, engaged nine Boko Haram terrorists on Saturday in Galte village of Nganzai council.

The Police chief further disclosed that during the encounter, two suspects were killed, while two others were arrested.

Also the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, CAS yesterday said the Military was doing everything possible to ensure that terrorism is dealt with in Nigeria.

Reacting to the killing of worshippers at the inauguration of three transit apartments in Sam Ethnan Base, Ikeja, Lagos, Abubakar said, “We are doing everything humanly possible to ensure we deal with the problem of Boko Haram.

Continuing, he said “Let’s not forget where we are coming from an era where over 22 local governments were controlled by Boko Haram before we recaptured it.

“However, I am not saying that we should allow this to happen, but what I can tell you is that in all insurgences, what is required is for us to keep the fight.

“Also note that it’s not only about the military might, but about intelligence gathering. To achieve this, we need understanding to get people to give us the required intelligence to work.

“But on the whole, I think we are working hard and we will sustain it to ensure that every community in Nigeria is secured.”

“We need to work hand in hand with security agencies in providing intelligence which is very important.

“No fighter aircraft can detect a girl carrying bomb. It’s a human being that will come and disclose what is happening and where.

“It’s also from that intelligence that you plan your operation and make sure you deal with that threat .

“So, I want to then urge us to keep supporting the Federal Government, our Armed Forces and other security agencies and also pass whatever information that is useful to all security agencies.”

On the role of the Nigeria Air Force he said, “The NAF in line with its statutory responsibilities has contributed greatly and will not relent on its oars towards restoration of peace, security, humanitarian efforts and wellbeing of Nigerians.

“As you are aware, no modern battle, be it conventional or assymetric can be won without air power. Let me reiterate that remarkable successes have been achieved in Operation Lafia Dole and other theatres of internal security operations, as well as other activities in aid to civil authorities across the country.

“In the last three years, the FG has acquired 18 brand new asserts, platforms for the NAF. We have the 10th Super Meshack Aircraft for training in Kaduna, we also have the four Mi-35 amongst others”


Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.