Breaking News

Fire guts Ikotun bank ATM gallery in Lagos

Kindly Share This Story:

By Olasunkanmi Akoni
Pandemonium broke out yesterday afternoon, when fire suddenly gutted a bungalow housing about six Automated Teller Machines, ATM, at Access Bank, Ikotun Branch, old Alimosho Local Government Area, Lagos.

It was gathered that property worth millions of Naira and unspecified amount of money were destroyed in the late afternoon inferno.

Director, Lagos State Fire Service , Rasaq Fadipe, who confirmed the incident, said the inferno broke out few minutes past 4pm.

According to Fadipe, “We received a distress call around 10 minutes past 4pm, and we promptly, dispatched our firemen with fire engines to the scene.

“On reaching the spot, there was heavy smoke that enveloped the entire area but we were able to put out the entire fire at about 6pm due to the highly fortified nature of the building.

“We had to bring in a forklift machine to break the wall inorder to get access to the spot of the fire which is a power house where about 100 high voltage batteries use for powering the ATM were being kept.”

He explained that with the help of police who provided security, normalcy was subsequently, restored.

According to fire boss, the inferno was as a result of sparks from the power house, containing the batteries.

“We can not quantify in actual term the valuable of property destroyed, but should be running into millions including cash in the ATM,” Fadipe stated.

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!