BY CHRIS OCHAYI
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, yesterday, revealed that it deleted names of over 946, 000 people involved in multiple-registration from its register since 2011.
The Deputy Director, Voters Education at the Commission, Mr. Oluwale Ozaze, who disclosed this at the sensitization on voters’ registration and collection of Permanent Voters Card, PVC, organised by the South-South Community in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja, vowed that INEC will continue the process of weeding multiple names from the register.
He, however, warned the INEC will henceforth prosecute anyone indulging in multiple registration.
Ozaze also disclosed that the Commission will start distribution of Permanent Voters’ Card, PVC, to registered residents in Cross Rivers, Delta States and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, beginning from this week Friday to Sunday.
“If you register and your name appears in the register, do not go and register again. If your name is captured on the INEC’ Electronic Voting Register, EVR, and you are relocating to another or any part of the country, you have to apply to the electoral office to seek transfer of your registration.
“Multiple registration is a crime and should be avoided because the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, is ready to prosecute anyone indulge in it,” he said.
“Anybody who has done multiple registration; we delete those other registration and keep one because everybody is expected to register once. Anybody who wants to make a case of it, we will prosecute him or her. If the law enforcement agent arrests them, INEC will prosecute them.”
Asked why the Commission has not prosecuted those names deleted so far, he said, “but you don’t expect us to start prosecuting over one million and one people.”