By Taye Obateru
Jos – The Plateau State Government has condemned Sunday night’s killing of six members of two families in their homes at Kungte village in Jos South Local Government Area of the state.
Commissioner for Information and Communication, Yiljap Abraham said in a statement Monday that the attack on innocent people mostly women and children at a time peace had virtually returned to the state was a cowardly act.
Unknown gunmen attacked the village at about 8pm on Sunday gunning down six people in two compounds. The gunmen said to have been armed with sophisticated weapons, reportedly shot sporadically into the compounds.
The statement by the commissioner read: “The Plateau State Government has received reports of attacks on some communities in the state with great indignation.
“The unprovoked killing of six members of two families in their home in Kungte village, Kanadap (near Marraraban Jama’a) in Kuru District of Jos South Local Government Area by gunmen on Sunday September 1, 2013, is an evil and wicked act that should be condemned by all members of society.
“It is also a display of cowardice by the perpetrators who under the cover of darkness deliberately chose to visit violence on vulnerable members of society – women and children -to achieve clearly devilish designs.
“Such an attack, coming at a time when the state has been mostly peaceful for quite sometime appears a desperate attempt to reverse the gains of our hard-earned efforts in breaking down the barriers of ethnic and religious intolerance and thereby rebuilding the bridges of communal consensus.”
It added that security has been beefed up in the affected areas to check any further breach of the peace.
Just last week, six people including a pregnant woman, were ambushed and killed at Bisichi while returning to their villages from Bukuru by yet to be identified gunmen.