Nsukkaâ€”AÂ section of University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN,Â Continuous Education Centre, CEC, housing the Council Chamber has been gutted by fire.
The fire, it was gathered, started in the early hours of Saturday with equipment worth millions of naira and vital documents destroyed.
An eye witness in Nsukka, said that the fire started atÂ 4a.m. from a cyber cafe, where students were doing overnight browsing.
He saidÂ that instead of raising alarm for people to come and assist in putting out the inferno, the night browsers sneaked out of the place.
â€œThe council chamber as well some business centres were completely razed by the inferno,â€ the source said.
As at press time,Â UNN security had condoned off the affected section of the CEC. The universityâ€™s chief security officer and CEC manager who refused to give their names, declined to speak with newsmen, stressing that they needed to get permission from the appropriate authorities before speaking to the media.
However, when contacted, the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Prof Bartho Okolo, described the fire incident as unfortunate, “especially at this time that the university was striving to address issues of poor facilities”.