Boko Haram embarrassing my govt — BUHARI
By Kingsley Omonobi, Levinus Nwabughiogu & Ndahi Marama
ABUJA—Military sources have confirmed that over 50 persons were killed by scores of Boko Haram terrorists armed with AK 47 rifles and other sophisticated weapons in the attack on Dalori village, about 4 kilometers away from Maiduguri.
President angered by sect
This came as President Muhammadu Buhari, in Abuja said that Boko Haram sect was embarrassing his government with renewed onslaught against the people of the north-east.
The attack and wanton destruction of lives and properties including livestock and cattle in Dalori village, came despite repeated government claims that Boko Haram insurgents had been degraded and no longer had the capacity to assemble or carry out such large scale attacks except through suicide bombings
It was gathered that the military on learning of the Boko Haram attack on Dalori on Saturday night, dispatched troops to engaged them, resulting in a fierce gun battle.
The terrorists were said to have inflicted heavy carnage on Dalori and another village of Walori, for close to two hours before the military arrived.
The source said the villagers who had always been on the alert, were deceived by the fact that the insurgents came in Hilux Vans and were dressed in camouflage hence the villagers mistook them for troops on patrol.
Bodies of those killed, it was gathered, were evacuated to the Borno State Specialist Hospital in Maiduguri and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.
“Several others whose numbers were estimated at 70 who received gunshot, machete injuries, etc, were also evacuated to the two hospitals”, the source said.
Insurgents more desperate now— BUHARI
Meanwhile, speaking against the backdrop of plethora of suicide bombings in Chibok market, Dolari Internally Displaced Persons’ IDP, camp in Borno State and the Gombi market in Adamawa State in the passing week, president Buhari said that the insurgents had become more desperate, saying that the recent bombings were attempts to gain public sympathy and attention having suffered terribly in the hands of Nigerian military.
According to President Buhari, the terrorists had been rendered weak, confused and homeless after repeated bombings and ravaging of their camps and hide outs by the military, forcing them to find their way back into the society to wreak havoc, like the case of the Dolari and IDP.
The President also noted that the materials for making the Improvised Explosive Devices, IEDs, were locally sourced by the insurgents and urged Nigerians especially residents of the north-east region to be more vigilant and circumspect.
Air Force pounds Sambisa
In the mean time, as part of efforts to soften the ground for troops, the Nigerian Airforce, NAF, has sustained aerial bombardment of Sambisa Forest with over 280 operational sorties conducted against terrorist’s targets in the last one month.
The Deputy Theatre Commander Air of Operation Lafiya Dole, Air Vice Marshal Isiaka Oladayo Amao, who made this known at a briefing in Maiduguri, said the air strikes and bombardments were conducted by the Air Component of the Operation Lafiya Dole in the North-East.
Amao explained that the sustained air operations and surveillance within the Theater of operation in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States, were intensified between December 2015 and January 2016 towards ending the Boko Haram menace.