News

September 7, 2010

LG boss doles N1m to market

By Simon Ebegbulem
BENIN—THE Chairman of Egor Local Government Area of Edo State, Mr Crosby Eribo, Tuesday, brought succor to women, whose goods were destroyed during the fire incident that gutted the Edaiken market last month. He gave out over N1million to the victims.

It will be recalled that goods estimated at over N3million were destroyed when fire gutted the market last month. Similar fire incident also occurred five years ago when the Chairman with the assistance of the night guards in the market made frantic attempts to put out the fire at about 4am.

Mr Eribo who gave out the cash to the victims at the Council secretariat, regretted the fire incident, which he said brought pains to many homes and assured that the council had made “solid” arrangements to ensure that such mishap does not occur again.

According to him, “the council resolved to bring succor to the victims. We have about 25 women affected in the fire incident and we promised to assist them financially to set up other businesses. We are glad today that we have fulfilled our promise and we are also going to ensure that such ugly incident does not occur again.”

Eribo further commended the state Fire Services and security men attached to the market for their effort in ensuring that the latest fire incident was not as devastating as the one that happened five years ago. He said, “that is why we are building the market with concretes so that this does not happen again.”

One of the beneficiaries, Madam Magdalene Osagie, who commended the Council boss for the assistance, said, “we never believed that the council would come to our assistance and this is why we are very grateful. Some of us have been at home for long because we have no money to set up another businesses after our goods were destroyed, but with this gesture, we will be able to go to market and buy things for sale.”