News

September 17, 2013

Anambra 2013: Youths warn against replacing Nwoye as PDP candidate

By ENYIM ENYIM

ONITSHA — Youths in Anambra North senatorial zone on the platform of Odimma Anambra North Youths Initiative, yesterday, advised the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, against any attempt to replace Mr. Tony Nwoye as the governorship candidate in the November 16 governorship election in the state.

Addressing journalists in Oyi local government, spokesman for the group, Obiora Okafor, said the youths had vowed to cause mayhem in the state should the PDP national leadership replace Nwoye who, according to them, won the governorship primary election.

Okafor said it was the turn of Anambra North to produce the next governor because the zone had been marginalized since the creation of the state.

While appealing to the National Working Committee of PDP not to rescind its decision, the youths advised the party to embraceat internal democracy.

He called on well meaning citizens of the state, including traditional rulers, opinion leaders, human rights activists, especially from Anambra North, to rise and prevail on the PDP not to subvert the

will of the masses.

“All we are saying is for PDP to respect the wishes of the people. They have conducted a primary which is adjudged to be transparent and Chief Tony Nwoye emerged as a winner.

“So any plan to replace him is akin to thwarting the people’s wish. We all know that he was certified clean by the screening committee of P.D.P and he contested and won. So he should be allowed to contest the election.”