News

November 22, 2010

2011: Nigeria-in-Diaspora rallies support for Jonathan

By Kingsley Omonobi
ABUJA—More support came the way of President Goodluck Jonathan in his bid to contest the 2011 presidential election, with mass rallies of Nigerians and friends of country holding in the United States and Canada.

At both rallies, the gains of Jonathan’s administration, especially the Category 1 certification of  the country’s aviation sector, which has made it possible for Nigerian airlines to fly direct into America, were highlighted.

The US chapter of Goodluck/SAMBO Campaign Organization held its inaugural rallies in New York and Manhattan in support of President Jonathan, while similar rallies were held in Toronto, Canada. The New York event held at the Grand Hyatt Regency hotel.

According to a statement made available to Vanguard, Coordinator of the Campaign organization in the US, Dr. Charles Agunobi, a US-based physician and Mr. Dele Akinola, a Toronto-based businessman, led the mobilization teams of the rallies in support of President Jonathan.

He told the gathering that since the inception of Jonathan’s administration, the government had made visible progress not only in Nigeria, but also in the US.

He noted the fact that the administration had been able to secure for Nigeria, the Category 1 certification of the nation’s aviation industry from the United States Federal Aviation Administration, FAA, which enables Nigerian registered airlines to fly to any US city.

Dr. Agunobi noted that the Category 1 certification was the highest level of aviation clearance offered to commercial airlines.

He also cited the establishment of AMCON, a new body created to protect loans and other forms of investments, as another example of progress, noting that this was geared towards ensuring that investments were attracted and protected in the country.

“Consequently, the groups’ intense and extensive activities has resulted in massive following and increased political awareness throughout the US and Canada in favour of Jonathan’s Presidential bid” Agunobi said.

He added that renown boxing promoter, Mr. Don King, was one of the prominent persons that attended the US event.

Agunobi quoted Don King as announcing at the event that he would be part of the ‘Flag off Convention’ for the Goodluck/Sambo group that will be coming to Abuja, Nigeria, with prominent politicians from the US and Canada to demonstrate their full support and total commitment to President Jonathan’s success at the elections.

At the Canada rally, Coordinator, Mr. Dele Akinola, informed those that turned out that the six geo-political zones that make up Nigeria, the Labour Unions, Traditional rulers, leaders of the civil society community were all fully behind President Jonathan.

He reiterated the need for Nigerians in Canada to come out in large numbers to support President Jonathan who he described as a just man, to serve Nigerian people.

Meanwhile, Vanguard was informed that arrangements for a global campaign for President Goodluck Jonathan before the primaries of Peoples democratic Party, PDP, was being planned with more branches of the Goodluck/Sambo campaign group in the US, Canada and other places like London, Ireland, South Africa, and Germany.