Woman's Own

April 11, 2024

Echoes: VANGUARD WOMEN IWD 2024

Echoes: VANGUARD WOMEN IWD 2024

Engr. Margaret Oguntala

By Morenike Taire, Woman Editor

The just-concluded Vanguard Women International Women’s Day 2024 conference may have come and gone, but loud echoes continue to linger from participants who graced the event.

Speaking on the theme: “360 Degrees: Health, Wealth and Impact,” participants who spoke during the three panel sessions highlighted some issues that bother women.

According to them, it is a clarion call to action. The theme is not just a reflection of our aspirations but a road-map to our collective journey towards a more inclusive, equitable, and prosperous society.

“It underscores the multifaceted nature of women’s roles in society” — President of Nigerian Society of Engineers, Engr. Margaret Oguntala, FNSE.

“360 Women underscores the multifaceted nature of women’s roles in society, encompassing their influence on health, wealth, and impact. As we reflect on the progress made towards gender equality, it is crucial to recognise the resilience, strength, and determination of women in shaping our communities and driving positive change.

“Empowering women not only benefits individuals and families but also strengthens economies and societies as a whole. Therefore, it is imperative that we collectively work towards creating an enabling environment where women can thrive, succeed, and contribute meaningfully to society.”  

“You must be known for what you stand for”  — Hon. Stella Okotete, Executive Director, Business Development of the Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM)  

“Living a life of impact requires continuous learning, self development and dedication. As women, we need to be diligent in every aspect of life. You have to be original and impactful. You must live a life that would not bring a negative on your way. You must be known for what you stand for. There are stepping stones to fulfilling an impactful life. You must impact your space positively; this gives you a broad mindset to be able to see possibilities in impossible situations.

“As women, we must see ourselves as collaborative agents and not competitors. You must be able to lift other women off the ladder.”

“Women must set an example of purpose-driven living”—-Engr. Felicia Agubata, PhD, FNSE, Vice-President, Corporate Services, Nigerian Society of Engineers.

“Living an impactful life not only benefits the individual but also inspires others to do the same. By setting an example of purpose-driven living, individuals can motivate and empower those around them to make a difference and contribute to a culture of impact and positive change.”

“Let’s invest in women, accelerate progress” — Mrs. Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, Commissioner, Ministry of Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Lagos State.

“Our efforts must transcend the provision of healthcare services to embrace a holistic approach that includes mental, emotional, and physical well-being.

“Economic empowerment and financial literacy for women are not just levers for individual success but are imperative for the economic development of our state and nation.

“Through collective action and shared vision, we can create ripples of change that transform societies.

“Together, let us invest in women, accelerate progress, and remember – when we empower a woman, we empower humanity.”

“It behoves us to take advantage” — Dr Mories Atoki, CEO, African Business Coalition for Health, ABC Health

“If you do not recall anything, you must know that the generation we are in is one of the most fortunate generations where the voices of women have been given audacity and the largest scale in history. It therefore behoves you and I to take advantage of this time and to also understand and agree that the leadership in men are looking out for women.

“Women need to know about menopause”—-Pharm Mosun Dosunmu, Association of Community Pharmacists

“75 per cent of Nigerian women do not have knowledge about menopause. Menopause is a syndrome. It has collections of symptoms. And when those signs and symptoms are not treated, it can get aggravated and then it becomes an epidemic in the country.”

“All gender should be trained, treated equally” — Kemi Oguyemi, Professor of Business Ethics at Lagos Business School and Pan Atlantic University

“If boys and girls, from when they are very young, understand that there needs to be gender parity, understand that they need to treat one another fairly, and then when they grow up, they will have clearer ideas on those things as well.

“So women, for example, need to treat their children the same way. They need to understand that boys and girls need to all work in the home. There shouldn’t be some kind of chores that only girls do and then the boys do not need to do them.”  

“Women need to create value for themselves”— Dr. Abiola Salami, Principal Strategist, CHAMP

“Women need to  create value for themselves and other people around them. Women should continue to develop their own capacity to grow. Society should continue to create enabling environments. We need total cultural reorientation for all; we need to support women and women-focused interventions.”      

“Every woman must relate with the theme” — Bimpe Benson,  Financial Services Executive/ Non Executive Director/ Advisory Board Member

“The theme is premised on the foundation which every woman must relate with.”  

“Understand your health, manage it well”—- Tola Ajayi, Clinic Manager & Fertility Counsellor, Nordica Fertility Centre

“It is important to understand your health, manage it in such a way that you will be radiating your world. No woman is permitted to live a careless life because she is first responsible to herself before anyone else.”

Vanguard News