Crime Alert

December 18, 2016

DAD FROM HELL: Our father burnt our stomachs with red hot knife for allegedly stealing fish

DAD FROM HELL: Our father burnt our stomachs with red hot knife for allegedly stealing fish

Dayo Johnson, Akure

Akure – TONGUES are wagging as regards the inhuman treatment a father recently metted out to two of his children in Ondo state.

Many questions but few answers.

Is it the biting economic recession that has hit many homes or share wickedness that would make a father stick a hot red knife on the stomach of two of his children over allegation of thievery?

Alhaji Kasali Mumuni 41, is the father of the two children.

He has been married thrice but reports have it that none of his wives stayed with him for more than three years before they are sent packing with their children.

Vanguard gathered that Kasali left home that fateful day for work only to return to discover that the fish in the pot had been consumed without any consideration for the bread winner of the house.

It was learnt that one of the children helped himself with half of the only fish in the pot and when their step mother returned from where she used to sell herbs in one of the motor parks in Owo also ate the remaining half. But

when the father returned much later and his food was served without any fish, hell was let loose.

The step mother who reports had it was not comfortable with the continued stay of the two children in the house heaped the blame on them accusing them before their father that they had stolen the only fish reserved for him.

Vanguard gathered that the third wife who was yet to have a child was fond of asking the husband to allow the two children go to their mother because their presence in the house was making her uncomfortable.

Narrating their ordeal to Vanguard, Mary (not real name) said it was actually true that Martha (not real name) ate half of the piece of fish in the pot and that when their stepmother returned from her shop also finished the other half of the fish eaten by his brother.

According to her, when their father returned and was served rice without fish he flared up and their step mother lied that the two of them stole the fish reserved for his dinner while she was away from the house.

Angered by what he was told, Mary said that their father beat them mercilessly and later went into the kitchen to use the stove to heat up a knife.

“When the knife was hot and turned red he pressed it on our stomach one after the other. We cried and begged but our father refused to remove the knife.

“ Our neighbours who heard our cries rushed to the scene only to be told by our father that they should mind their businesses.

“He held us down for some minutes as the knife was pressed on our stomach,”she said. She told Vanguard that the neighbour’s later informed the officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps NSCDC who rushed to the scene and rescued them.

“ We were taken to the state hospital by the officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps who later reported informed the Welfare department of the state Ministry of Women Affairs,” she said. The mother of the two children who reside in Ila Orangun, Osun state after his divorce with the suspect has relocated to Akure to take care of them after the ill treatment by their father.

Vanguard was informed that the suspect is in detention in Owo town and would soon be transferred to the state police command headquarters in Akure for further interrogation and prosecution.

An official of the NSCDC confirmed that the suspect was arrested for inflicting injuries on his children.

Speaking in confidence, he said that the suspect who is still being quizzed would be prosecuted after investigation were completed.

In another development, a 33year old driver Abass Olaiya has committed suicide by hanging in Ore area of the state.

The father of three who was a driver hanged himself at a panel beater’s workshop at Onisere garage along Benin/ Ore road.

Vanguard gathered that Abass killed himself because a dealer who gave him a car on higher purchase collected the car back because he failed to meet up with the payment schedule .

The dealer reportedly collected the car from him on Tuesday and despite all persuasions by his family members to take heart over the ugly development, he left the house on Wednesday without informing anyone where he was heading to.

His dangling body was discovered by apprentices at the panel beaters workshop the following day.

He reportedly told his friends before he committed suicide that his source of livelihood had been taken away from him and he was amazed he was alive.

The deceased had since been buried according to family source who said the matter was not reported at the police station. The family member said that they had taken solace in God as the death of Abass was as a result of frustration.