By Sam Eyoboka
THE love story of the quintessential General Overseer of Redeemed Christian Church of God, RCCG, Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, popularly known as Daddy G.O. and his darling wife, Pastor (Mrs.) Folu Adeboye is one that would go down in history as one of the most romantic love stories ever.
Daddy G.O. has not only proved that having God at the centre of your life is key but he has also proved that real men still exist. As they celebrate the faithfulness of God on their 49th anniversary this year, here are 20 things you would never believe Daddy G.O. does:
- Adeboye married twice. Not what you’re thinking. He had a traditional marriage first then a white wedding in church about two years after.
- Adeboye couldn’t afford a wedding ring then. So he promised his wife later that she would never lack anything and has since kept that promise.
- When Adeboye could finally afford a wedding ring, he refused to buy or wear one. He also mandated his last son, Adeleke Adeboye, to do same.
- Adeboye wouldn’t eat food or drink anywhere his wife doesn’t approve first.
- Adeboye prefers his meals freshly cooked daily.
- Adeboye expects his wife to fast with him when he is fasting. (We guess this saves on food expenses.)
- Adeboye eats dinner between 4-00 p.m. and 5.00 p.m. and that’s it for the day.
- Adeboye sometimes goes into the kitchen to give moral support and taste the food. He also advises on which food needs more seasoning or salt.
- At least three times every year, Adeboye leaves his whole family for about five days—no phone calls, no sex, no distractions—even his wife is not allowed around him. (We all know whose face he goes to seek.)
- Adeboye used to be fat; his weight was so disturbing that his wife begged him to do something about it.
- Adeboye started making efforts toward reducing his weight by totally avoiding fizzy drinks and alcohol. Now, he only drinks water, fresh fruit juice and tea.
- Adeboye would never leave Nigeria and is never more than a 2-hours’ drive or flight away from his wife on the month of her birthday. This is one of the promises he made to her when they got married.
- Adeboye still gives monthly household expenses fees to his wife till date. This even increases year by year as inflation goes up.
- Adeboye also gives his wife monthly self-maintenance allowance.
- When he is at home, Adeboye kisses his wife every morning and prays for her even before coming out to see anyone else.
- Adeboye always buys marching watches, suit cases. Everything he needs to get, he always makes sure he gets her own version of it.
- Adeboye always puts his wife first before his children. Besides, they will and have all left home anyway.
- Adeboye has never stopped appreciating his wife for her sacrifice over the years and putting her dreams on hold so he could become who he is today hence he never leaves her behind in anything and everything he does.
WOW! I bet you weren’t ready for these!!!