Following yesterday’s attack by Boko Haram on a humanitarian convoy, the United Nations has temporarily suspended aid deliveries in Borno State.
The U.N. children’s agency, UNICEF in a statement said that unknown assailants attacked the convoy on Thursday as it returned to Maiduguri from delivering aid in Bama, injuring a UNICEF employee and an International Organisation for Migration contractor, reports Reuters.
According to the agency, “The United Nations has temporarily suspended humanitarian assistance missions pending review of the security situation.”
Nearly a quarter of a million children in Borno suffer from life-threatening malnourishment and around one in five will die if they do not receive treatment, UNICEF said earlier this month
Doctors Without Border otherwise known as Medecins Sans Frontieres said on Wednesday that severely malnourished children were dying in large numbers in northeast Nigeria, where food supplies are close to running out.