Shiroro (Niger) – Gov. Sani Bello of Niger has condoled with the victims of a windstorm disaster that killed five persons and injured several others in Shiroro Local Government area of the state.
The disaster occurred on April 15 when a high tension wire fell on houses in the area.
Bello said that government would give the needed support to the victims and also give assistance in areas that would bring succor to the families of the deceased.
“I came to sympathise with you after receiving report on the unfortunate incident that claimed five lives leaving several others with various degrees of injuries and burning houses.
“It is sad that such disaster claimed five lives. As government, we will always give our support to the people of this state,” he said.
Bello decried the constant power surge disasters in the state and promised that measures would be taken to reverse the trend.
He said that appropriate action must be taken on the contractor that laid the high tension wire which collapsed after protests by the community.
“We will write the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing to look into this alleged act of negligence that is causing death and loss of property to our people,” he said.
A similar high tension wire collapsed at Maitumbi area of Minna metropolis a fortnight ago and claimed many lives and property worth millions.
A resident of Shiroro, Malam Ahmed Labaran, told NAN of the refusal of the contractor to listen to the advice of the community to separate wires of the cable.
“During the connection of the high tension wire, the contractor divided a 100mm into three phases and he was warned by the people of the area that it was too dangerous to do that.
“He refused to adhere to the warning. So, when the rain came with heavy windstorm, the three divided high tension wires touched each other and fell on the roof of the affected houses.
“That was how innocent lives were lost, a woman and her daughter also died.
“But today, we are happy that justice will be given to the deceased through the governor’s directive,” he said.
During the visit, the governor also approved the construction of a 10-kilometre road in the town which was abandoned by the past administration.
“I understand that this road was among the contract awarded and since then it has been abandoned.
“Once this road is constructed it will ease the people’s hardship of using a dusty road that is not convenient.
“It is government’s money that was used to award this contract. Any contractor that was paid for a road project and did not execute it should either return the money or face the full wrath of the law.
“I urged the ministry of works to investigate all road projects and thereafter prosecute any contractor that was paid and did not execute the road project,” he said.