News

October 21, 2013

FG probes cholera outbreak in Plateau

Abuja – The Federal Ministry of Health is to begin investigations into the suspected outbreak cholera in Namu village in the Qua’pan Local Government Area of Plateau, an official of the ministry has said.

Dr Akin Oyemakinde, Chief Consultant Epidemiologist in the ministry, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday

in Abuja that the investigation would determine the kind of intervention to be deployed to the community.

“The ministry is already aware of the outbreak of cholera in Plateau and has sent some team of experts to carry out proper investigations.

“After the investigation, we will have a comprehensive detail of the situation and the necessary interventions deployed to the areas.’’

Oyemakinde assured that the ministry was on top of the situation and would ensure that it curtailed the

spread of the disease.

It will be recalled that an Epidemiologist in Plateau, Dr Raymond Yuryit, had confirmed the death of eight people with 61 others hospitalised since the outbreak of the epidemic in the state.

Yuryit said those hospitalised had been diagnosed with the disease and admitted in various health centres.

He attributed the outbreak to overcrowding, dirty environment and consumption of unhygienic food and water. (NAN)