Breaking News

Bayelsa to develop deep sea port

Kindly Share This Story:


Yenagoa – The sleepy town of Agge on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean in Ekeremor local government area of Bayelsa would soon come into limelight as it is set to host a $3bn deep sea port.

Also, the state government in partnership with the Nigeria Army is to undertake a survey of Agge ahead of the proposed deep sea port which would attract huge investments to the area.

The deep sea port project is a collaboration between Bayelsa State government with Global Seaway International and Tianjin Energy Resources Limited.

Governor Seriake Dickson, at a joint presentation on the sea port project by representatives of an indigenous company, Global Seaway International and their Chinese technical partners, Tianjin Energy Resources Limited, in Yenagoa said such investments would complement government’s efforts at industrializing and stimulating the economy of the state. The sea port project he noted would also provide job opportunities for the people.

According to him, the development of critical infrastructure, creation of wealth and capacity building were beyond the capacity of the state government and assured that government would provide an enabling environment for businesses to thrive in the state.

...Sea port

While assuring private firms of government’s preparedness to donate suitable land on the request of the companies, Governor Dickson said government would set up a technical team to fashion out the way forward with the investors. He called on the investing public to take advantage of the virgin investment climate in the state with its abundant opportunities.

In his presentation, chairman of Global Seaway International, King Frank Okurakpo, explained that the proposed sea port project was estimated to gulp over 3 billion dollars and will be located at Agge in Ekeremor Local Government Area of the state.

King Okurakpo noted that the objective of the industrial park which is part of the project was to create an industrial base to support the industrialization programme of government as well as reduce reliance on foreign facilities.

He stated that the sea port will also have such facilities as a 500 mega watt power plant, fabrication yard, jetty, outfield chemical plant and tank farm, dry docking yard, as well as cement and bagging plant.

Others include a steel pipe rolling mill, container terminal, fertilizer plant, supply vessels maintenance service yard, port authority, security and customs administration complex, port housing estate, schools, hospitals, shopping centers, parks and other facilities.

King Okurakpo disclosed that well over 100,000 workers are expected to be employed during the construction phase of the project while 1,200 workers would be absorbed, upon completion.

Also in his presentation, representative of Tianjin Energy Resources Limited, Mr. Peter Lin said his company will finance 85 per cent of the project while the remaining 15 per cent funding is expected to be sourced locally.

Meanwhile, the state governor has urged the Nigeria Army not to delay its movement to Agge, saying, “A new dawn beckons on both public and private investors as government is assuring them of an investment friendly climate”.

Governor Dickson also urged the Nigeria Army to assist in boosting the existing security measures in the area whilst in Agge, considering the strategic importance of the coastal town, which has direct access to the Atlantic Ocean.

The governor who made the assertion in an interactive session with a team of senior military officers led by Major General Funsho Owonibi in Yenagoa, explained that government has an ambitious plan of infrastructural development and intends to attract massive Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), which will in turn, accelerate socio-economic activities and over-all development of the state.

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!