By Evelyn Usman
Makeshift buildings numbering over thirty , Wednesday, went up in flames in Ebute Meta area of Lagos. The Police have confirmed the incident and said that no life was lost in the inferno which rendered several families homeless.
Report said there were two separate fire incidents on Freeman and Cemetery areas of Ebute-Meta.
The fire incident on Freeman street reportedly started Tuesday night and raged until Wednesday. The fire Vanguard gathered was caused by a lit candle stick in one of the apartments on the affected building. Efforts by sympathizers to put out the fire failed as it reportedly spread to other makeshifts buildings behind it.
It was also gathered that the fire on Cemetery area was caused by upsurge in electric voltage .
There were however, conflicting report on the exact number of buildings affected as some eyewitnesses put the number at over hundred.
But when the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Samuel Jinadu was contacted, he said only one building was engulfed by fire in the area.