Breaking News

Kidnapped Reps member, Deeyah regains freedom

Kindly Share This Story:


PORT HARCOURT – KIDNAPPED member of the  House of Representatives, representing Khana/Gokhana constituency, Mr  Emmanuel Deeyah, has regained his freedom.

Confirming the development to newsmen in Port Harcourt,  Assistant Public Relations Officer of the Rivers State Police Command, Mr Chijioke Anyalechi, said policemen secured the release of the law maker after a gun duel with his kidnappers at Konor waterfront in Khana Local Government Area of the state, yesterday.

He said, “he (Deeyah)was rescued at Konor waterside in same Khana on Monday, about 2100hrs, following gun duel between team of policemen drawn from the command and the hoodlums.

“The hoodlums were forced to  retreat and abandon the victim. He is presently receiving medical treatment while efforts had been intensified to arrest fleeing hoodlums and recover their operational weapons,” he said.

Deeyah was taken hostage in Gwarra, Khana council on Saturday. One of his aides was shot dead before he was abducted.

It was not clear if the abduction had anything to do with ongoing polls.

Meantime, released Deeyah in a statement, yesterday, said there was no exchange of gun fire in any form before his release. Lamenting the death of his cousin at the scene of his abduction, he expressed gratitude to Governor Chibuike Amaechi, the Ogonis and several others for their roles while he was in the custody of his captors.

He dismissed insinuations that his abduction was organised by some of his supporters, who alleged he had some deals with the Magnus Abbe, one of those gunning for the senatorial seat in the state.

The statement said, “I,  wish to state the facts regarding my abduction and subsequent release from captivity.
On Saturday, April 2, 2011, at about 4pm, gunmen invaded my country home in Gwara in Khana council,  firing automatic weapons indiscriminately and subsequently abducted and forced me into a waiting vehicle and took me away to location, unfamiliar to me.

“I was blind-folded and transferred, at different times, from one vehicle to another until I was finally put in a speed boat, and then a dug-out canoe and taken to a location in the creeks,” he added.

I spent two nights in captivity in the same location.
I was released safely at about 8.30pm on Monday, April 4, 2011.

I then put a call through, from a public phone service, to my family who arranged my pick-up from Kaa Waterside, the location where I had been dropped off by my captors.

It has come to my attention that some insinuations have been and are being made about the circumstances surrounding my ordeal. I have read some media reports since my release, and a number of inaccuracies abound in the publications.

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!