Breaking News

I didn’t mean to kill her, laments husband that hacked wife to death

By Albert Akpor, Evelyn Usman & Ifeanyi Okolie

LAGOS — A middle-aged man  identified as Mr. Sunday Ajetumobi is presently cooling his heels in police custody for allegedly hacking his wife, Mrs Sakirat Ajebumobi to death.

It was not too clear why the Ekiti State born commercial bus driver and father of three decided to kill his wife but police sources said the couple had been locked in a violent strife for some time now.

The incessant quarrel, sources said, made the deceased to run from their Ayobo, near Ipaja home and relocated to her parents house but the husband soon surfaced and convinced his late wife’s parents that the quarrel was over.

However, sources hinted that another round of heated quarrel soon ensued moments after the couple arrived their home during which the husband was alleged to had grabbed a sharp object with which he stabbed his wife severally.

Sensing that his wife was dying, Mr. Sunday Ajetumobi reportedly rushed her to a nearby hospital in the area but she was confirmed dead on arrival.

He was therefore, advised to take the remains of his wife to Ikeja General hospital but because of the present Lagos State coroner’s law, he could not deposit her in the morgue. He was said to had abandoned the corpse and fled to an unknown destination.

But detectives reportedly rounded him up weekend at his Agege hideout during which he confessed to the crime.

When he was paraded before newsmen, Sunday lamented the death of his wife and asserted that he did not mean to kill the mother of his three boys. “I love her so much. She is all I have. I did not know what made me kill her”, he kept on saying.

“I used to beat my wife before but after our first child, I stopped beating her  because my Landlady and other women in our compound advised me to stop.

We have been living happily as husband and wife and we were planning to get married properly. I mean we have been living together since 1994 but we are not properly married because I have not paid her bride price and we had arranged that we will get married by December, this year.

On Saturday when I got home from work, I did not meet her in the house and I have always asked her not to leave the house without telling me, even the previous day, she left the house and our children did not eat until I got home.

So that evening I got back around 8 30 pm and she was not in, I went out to get a cigarette because I smoke cigarette. I don’t smoke Indian hemp nor drink. After smoking the cigarette, I went back home. This time, she was in. Immediately she saw me, she ran away and I went after her. Actually, I was holding a touch light.

When I got close to her, I cannot explain how I hit her but I saw her screaming and blood was rushing out of her forehead and she slumped.

At that time, I was confused and did not know what to do but a neighbour who took sympathy brought milk and water that we used in trying to revive her.

When she could not regain herself, we took her down to the General hospital, Ikeja where she was confirmed dead by the doctors who asked me and my children to leave with her dead body.

When we got back home on Sunday, my Landlady advised that we report the case to the police station. When we got to the police station, they told me that they have been looking for me.

That was how I was arrested. I don’t know where my children are for now. The police took them from me”, he further lamented.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.