*Attack mindless, godless — BUHARI; reaffirms govt’s resolve to secure Nigeria
By Ndahi Marama and Levinus Nwabughiogu
MAIDUGURI—No fewer than 22 worshipers, including the bombers, were killed in yesterday’s early morning twin suicide bombing at Molai-Umarari village, behind the Molai Hospital, on the outskirts of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
Molai lies on the fringes of Sambisa Forest on Maiduguri – Damboa – Biu Road.
Several other persons were also injured in the blast that occurred less than 24 hours after dozens of terrorists and two soldiers lost their lives in an encounter along Maiduguri – Damboa – Biu road on Tuesday.
Reacting, President Muhammadu Buhari said he was angry over the news of latest cruel attacks on a mosque in Maiduguri, Borno State, describing the Boko Haram, perpetrators, as a group of mindless and godless people.
A tweet on the handle of the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu yesterday, said the president was “dismayed”.
The president, however, reiterated the resolve of his government to protect the country and its people.
The fresh attack on Molai-Ummarari village was said to have occurred at about 5am during the Muslim early morning prayers.
Another source told Vanguard that the death toll would have been less, but for residents who rushed to the scene of the blast to help the injured after the first bomb exploded.
A second bomber was said to have sneaked into the crowd to detonate another explosive that left more people dead and scores others injured.
It was gathered that the dead and the injured had been evacuated to hospitals in Maiduguri metropolis and no one has claimed responsibility yet.
Confirming the blast, Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Col. Sani Kukasheka Usman, said: ‘’This is to confirm that there were twin bomb attacks carried out by two female carriers at Ummarari village, near Molai, on the outskirts of Maiduguri metropolis, Borno State, this morning (yesterday).
He said: ‘’The first attack targeted a mosque, while the second blast, about 50 metres away, set off a few minutes later. Sadly, 22 people were killed and 18 others sustained various degrees of injuries.
’While we commiserate with the families of the victims of this dastardly act, we wish to reassure the public that we would continue to rout the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists wherever they may be hiding.”