…AS FUTA wins 2013 software cup
The Cross Rivers State government , Wednesday in Tinapa Business Resort Calabar, said that it would promote 2013 national software competition with N7.5 million, even as the team from the Federal University of Technology, Akure , Ondo State , won the 2013 Institute of Software Practitioners of Nigeria, (ISPON) national software Innovation competition organized for technology students in the Nigerian universities and polytechnics.
However, 70 percent of the fund, it was learnt will go to the winners while the remaining 30 percent will be kept as seed fund for mentoring and innovation.
Accordingly, N2 million will go to the first prize winners, N1.5 million to the second winners while N1 million will go to the third winners.
The award was for the overall best and most promising solution submitted. The winners after showcasing their solutions before impartial judges were determined based on the quality of solution presented, its relevance to the society especially in Nigeria and capacity to solve local problems for the ordinary in the society, extent of work and creativity demonstrated in the solution
Out of 24 teams that competed in the first round , ten were shortlisted in the second round after which three teams emerged 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the final round of the competition that saw Olaoluwa Aboluwarin, Oluwadara Oladapo and Mofesola Banjo as the first prize winner with Enchanter as the project name in the 2013 ISPON software competition grand price.
The three students were selected after four days of creative work in a keenly contested software competition involving about 70 students from 21 schools from Nigerian tertiary institutions at the Nigerian knowledge city, Tinapa, Calabar, Cross River state.
Team 1 from Convernant University Otta with Anti-cultism social education media won the second price with Ativie Raymond, Orogo Alanunioluwa as team members.
Also, team Efficacy from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife came third with team members including Moyin Adeyemi, Adegoke Obasa and Adeyemi Olaoye .
However, 24 teams in different categories including mobile app, web app, desktop app, and mobile game had competed in national software completion and conference sponsored by Main One, Nigerian Communications Commission, NEXIM Bank, NITDA among others.
Out of the 24 solutions in the showcase, health and education solutions dominated contest with 5 solutions each followed by security and business which have 4. Entertainment and public service had 2 solutions each.
Other categories of prizes for the national software competition 2013 will include ISPON prize for best mobile software application developer team of the year 2013, Cleopas Officer Angaye cup for best open source software of the year , Dr. Ashiru Daura cup for best innovative software of the year, NEXIM Bank prize for emerging software export developer, Clement Ndukwe cup for best creative software of the year among others.
Running for three years since inception, the national software conference and competition with the theme: “Software strategies for retooling workforce” was organized by the Institute of Software Practitioners of Nigeria, (ISPON) and hosted by the Cross River State government.
For the Governor of Cross Rivers State, Liyel Imoke who was represented by the Special Assistant of ICT, Odo Effiong soon after the winners were announced told the students to use software solutions developed for the contest to solve problems in their local communities.
While assuring g the commitment of the state for the promotion of ISPON national software competition and conference, he said that, “Everybody is a winner.
You are the future of this country. We are proud of you all. We will continue to support software innovation. No nation can survive without local software solution. Be your own boss. Your destiny lies in your hands. This is the time to determine it. Begin now” he told the students.
With excitement, the national Secretary of ISPON , Chinaenye Mba Uzochukwu while announcing the winners said that solutions developed by the students would change the world if fully applied.
According to him, students can use the solutions showcased to be software entrepreneurs of the future