Fashola
By Kingsley Adegboye
The Lagos state government said last week that the demolition of the fence of St. Peters Claver Catholic Church, in Ajao-Estate was not an attempt to take over anyone’s property. The government claimed that the demolition was based on the overall public interest, as the said wall should not have been annexed in the first place.
Reverend Father Hyginus Nwaze, a Priest in the church had alleged that the removal of the walls violates the church property. But the government in a statement insisted that it did not violate the church’s property.
“It is necessary to state the fact as it is. The government did not violate the church’s property. The said piece of land, where the wall was erected, is not part of the Church but was annexed by the church to use as a car park. It is not within the C of O of the church. This annexation did not confer ownership. Also, there had been several stakeholders’ meetings involving the church community, community leaders and officials where the issues were discussed and agreed.
In particular, Reverend Father Paul Anyasi represented the church. The Parish pastor who spoke, we are aware, is new to the parish and may not be fully aware of the issues. There is also the need to recall the reconstruction effort of the State Government began in the aftermath of the January 27 disaster which led to the loss of lives.
The reconstruction of the bridge linking Ajao Estate to Ejigbo had also meant an increase population of people using the road. To meet the demands of vehicles using the area and create a necessary bypass, the Johnson Umejie Close had to be removed. This will enable a thoroughfare between Kolawole Shonibare Street and Baale Shekoni,” the statement explained.

Disclaimer
Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.