Sports

December 12, 2011

Moses ‘ll go places, says Wigan coach

Moses ‘ll go places, says Wigan coach

Victor Moses

Wigan Athletic coach, Roberto Martinez believes striker, Victor Moses, who celebrates his 21st birthday on Monday – is ready to fulfil his potential.

Moses joined the Latics from Crystal Palace nearly two years ago in a £2.5million deal and scored his first goal for 13 months in the 2-1 away win over West Brom.

Victor Moses

He also earned the penalty, converted by Jordi Gomez, which sealed back-to-back away wins for Wigan and moved them out of the bottom three of the Barclays Premier League.

Martinez has been delighted with the performances of Moses despite his lack of goals and is confident he will prove his worth. He said: “It was a real quality finish by Victor for our first goal and great skill by him to get the penalty. When you have got talent like Victor, he can be unstoppable in one versus one situations.”

Martinez added: “His goal will give him a real confidence boost but I’m extremely pleased with the level of performance of Victor even though he has not been scoring goals.

“He is 21 on Monday so this is a fantastic birthday present. Getting goals, getting that final pass, or getting penalties, is something he can do.

“He is very natural, extremely talented and has a great love for the game.

“He is still a young man, still improving, still getting better, but his attitude will allow him to fulfil his potential.”

Meanwhile Wigan has yet to respond to Moses’ contract demand. Moses’ advisers are hoping to negotiate Wigan’s opening offer of a five-year deal worth £14,000 a week, but have so far been met with silence.