News

November 2, 2011

Ebonyi reads riot act to contractors handling pilot schools

BY PETER OKUTU
ABAKALIKI—EBONYI State Government, Tuesday, said it would not deal with any contractor handling the construction of pilot schools across the state who failed to complete the project within the specified period allotted for it.

The government reiterated that since the project was pivotal in its agenda towards uplifting the education sector in the state, it would ensure that the ongoing construction of pilot schools  was given the required attention by all the contractors handling them.

Addressing newsmen in Abakaliki, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Lands, Survey and Housing, Mrs. Ann Nwanyibuife, noted that the Ministry was carrying out regular supervision on the going

construction of pilots  schools in the 13 local government areas, among other projects in the state. She said any contractor that performed below expectation would have his contract terminated.

She added that the synergy existing between the management and Commissioner of the Ministry, Mr. Friday Nwogha, had raised the productivity level of the Ministry in terms of issuance of Certificate

of Occupancy to citizens of the state.

According to Nwanyibuife, the ministry has adopted a work strategy which ensures that documents are promptly attended to without any delay.  She said the Ministry had so far produced 444 Certificates of Occupancy, which would soon be ready for collection by owners.

She said: “We have done so much in terms of making sure that our production level improves.

“Within last week, we were able to produce 444 certificates of occupancy.  We are making sure that the ones that were approved before we came on board are cleared.”