May 31, 2024

Benue: Man found electrocuted beside fenced electricity transformer


By Peter Duru, Makurdi

A young man identified Terhide Tarfa was found electrocuted at an electricity transformer installed at Kanshio community in the outskirts of Makurdi town.

Though it was not clear if it was a case of suicide or failed attempt to tamper with the power lines or to vandalise the installation, but the lifeless body of the young man was discovered inside the fenced transformer Thursday at about 3:45 pm.

An eyewitness in the neighborhood who recognised the deceased but spoke on condition of anonymity said the people in the area were still in shock over the matter.

He said they could not understand how the young man found his way to the power transformer which was completely fenced and protected from intruders.

According to him, “how the young man gained access to the transformer still remains a mystery to everyone of us because it is fenced and the entrance door is permanently locked and only opened when officials of Jos Electricity Distribution Company, JED, want to do the maintenance.

“Though someone said that he had him saying that he wanted to speak with his mother or he would kill himself but the person did not know if he was able to speak with his mother or not and what the issue was.

“The next is that people saw his lifeless body close to the transformer. It is a sad development.”

Reacting, the Corporate Affairs Manager of JED, Dr. Adakole Elijah who described the incident as strange, said he could not understand why the deceased chose to get into the fenced power installation.

He said, “we found it strange that a transformer that was energised and fenced, somebody could enter into the place and we don’t know really what happened, whether it was a case of suicide or attempted vandalism.

“The pictorial evidence shows that the man forced himself into the transformer. JED has always warned people not to go close to its installations.”

Contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, Superintendent, SP, Catherine Anene who confirmed the incident said investigation was ongoing to unearth the motive of the deceased.