Ekiti Government has ordered the immediate reconstruction of the link bridge in Olorunda community of Ado-Ekiti, the state capital.
The Deputy Governor, Chief Bisi Egbeyemi, who gave this indication during an assessment visit to the collapsed bridge on Monday, sympathised with residents and assured them that work would begin on the site on Tuesday, Sept. 14.
The bridge which linked Olorunda with Olorunsogo and Adewumi neighborhoods of Ado-Ekiti collapsed as a result of heavy rains and massive flood in the early hours of Monday.
The statement said the situation left thousands of residents stranded with pupils unable to go to their schools, while civil servants, artisans and traders could not reach their destinations.
It added that residents revealed that they had been managing the bridge for about four years with self-help efforts but welcomed the permanent reconstruction by Gov. Kayode Fayemi’s administration.
“That is why Gov. Kayode Fayemi asked me to come and see things for myself and I am here accompanied by the contractor who will handle the project.
“By the grace of God, work will commence here on Tuesday. In fact, the contractor in charge has ordered for materials to be used for the work immediately.
“I have given a directive that quality materials, including hard stones, be used and laying of asphalt. This government does not want life to be unbearable for the masses,” the deputy governor said.
The President of Olorunda Community, Mr Tayo Omolola, thanked the state government for the prompt intervention, which he said has restored the hope of the people living in the area.
Omolola expressed delight by the government’s prompt response and intention to begin immediate reconstruction.
He said the collapsed bridge served as the link between Olorunda and the adjoining communities of Olorunsogo and Adewumi, addong that the collapse bridge had brought despair to residents.
Omolola said the people had made presentations to the government on the condition of the bridge before its eventual collapse; adding that it had remained the major bridge in use as the second one had been washed away by flood in 2019.
The community leader, however, urged the contractor and his workers to ensure that quality job was done on the project.
The deputy governor was accompanied by the contractor handling the project, Mr Rudolph Najjar, and officials of the Ministry of Works, led by the Permanent Secretary, Mr Dele Agbede.