Breaking News

Ayedaade NULGE Chairman burnt to death

By Gbenga Olarinoye

Osogbo—THE Chairman, Nigerian Union of Local Government Employee, NULGE, Ayedaade Local Government Area of Osun State, Mr. Tajudeen Alabi, was, yesterday, burnt to death in his residence on Odeyinka Road, Ikire.

The late NULGE Chairman was said to have died while sleeping in his house when fire suddenly engulfed three shops located at Odeyinka Road, Oteyemi area, Ikire, and spread to his residence.


Alabi was said to have died on the spot before  help got to him, as the fire also destroyed his belongings worth millions of naira.

A resident, who identified himself simply as Yinka, said the fire, which engulfed the shops, started at 1a.m., following what he called “power surge.”

He said: “We were all asleep when they brought light around 1a.m., yesterday morning. We heard people screaming and shouting for help. But the locked shops and the deceased’s house hindered us from getting close to the scene.

“We initially thought it was something else, but when we saw smoke, we forced the door open and boys in the area poured in water to put out the fire.”

Speaking on the incident, former Executive Secretary,  Oduwole Basiru Iyanda, described it as unfortunate.

He described the late NULGE Chairman as a nice, loving and jovial person.

He, however charged people of the state on the need to always be cautious of fire, saying they should be mindful of their electrical appliances.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.