By Monsuru Olowoopejo
LAGOS—AHEAD of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) convention scheduled for December, the Minority leader, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mr. Dipo Olorunrinu, has said that the convention may end up not achieving the desired purpose due to the party’s decision to zone executive seats in the state.
Olorunrinu stated that the desired purpose which was to rest power from All Progressives Congress, APC, in 2019, may not come to fruition because the party’s National Caretaker Committee led by Senator Ahmed Makarfi, has failed to include the grassroots members in the preparations for the forthcoming party’s national convention.
The lawmaker representing Amuwo-Odofin Constituency I, told Vanguard yesterday that the party had apparently zoned 70 percent of its executives in Lagos state to House of Representatives members, leaving the leaders in the state with 30 per cent.
“This is the first stage of harmonization and it has been jeopardized. This is the ward level, which is the key, if we truly want the harmonization to work. I want Makarfi to know that a mistake has really occurred from the beginning.
“He needs to know that we need peace in the party and for us to achieve that, we need to quickly get the first stage of the harmonization correct.
“I can tell you that this will affect the convention. The leadership of the party needs to understand that they have gotten it wrong.
One cannot cut corners if he aims to achieve successes.
Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of Vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.