Breaking News

Fire guts Owerri hotel

Kindly Share This Story:

By Chinonso Alozie

Owerri—LESS than 72 hours after a gas explosion claimed four lives in Owerri, another fire outbreak gutted Stone Castle Hotel, yesterday.

Days earlier, a gas-laden truck had exploded along Njaba Bridge, killing over 20 persons.

Ogbe-Ijoh Market on fire

Stone Castle is located at Orji Road in Owerri North Local Government Area of the state, a stone throw from where the gas exploded, killing four.

Speaking to Vanguard, at the scene of the incident, Imo State Principal Fire Prevention Officer, Ekeocha Francis, said the cause of the fire outbreak has not been ascertained.

According to him, “I am yet to ascertain the cause of the fire and there is no casualty recorded. We are worried over the incessant fire outbreaks in the state and that is why we are giving lectures from time to time to educate people on fire prevention measures they should take.”

The DPO of Orji Police Division, Ude Umanta, was around with his men to assist in putting off the fire.

Proprietor of the hotel, Mr. Dennis Okoroafor, told Vanguard Monday night  that the “generator was functioning fine. All of a sudden, we saw fire in the generator house. The generator, worth of over seven million Naira, was destroyed, including other smaller generators, among other things.”

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.


Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!