Security forces are seeking Moussa Oukabir, a brother of one of the detainees in relation to the Barcelona terrorist attack, considering him to be the key suspect in the incident, local media reported on Friday.
Following the deadly van attack in Barcelona on Thursday evening, Catalan President Carles Puigdemont said that two people had been detained over the attack, including Driss Oukabir who had reportedly rented the vehicle.
An individual who had identified himself as Driss Oukabir reportedly said that his documents had been stolen as he arrived at the police station in Spain’s Ripoll.
According to the Spanish EFE news agency citing police sources, Moussa, Driss’ younger brother, is believed to be the perpetrator of the Ramblas attack that left 13 killed.
Authorities also said the perpetrators of two terrorist attacks in Spain’s Barcelona are members of a 12-person cell.
A van drove into a crowd of pedestrians in the central Ramblas area in Barcelona on Thursday, leaving 13 people dead and over 100 injured, in what police said was an act of terrorism.
The Islamic State terror group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Hours after the tragedy in Las Ramblas avenue another vehicle attack took place in the coastal town of Cambrils, south of Barcelona.
Six civilians and a police officer were injured, with some of them in critical condition.
According to the newspaper, five members of the cell have been killed, while three more have been detained by law enforcement officials.
The media outlet added that four more people, including an alleged perpetrator of the Barcelona attack, are on the run from police.
U.S. President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Theresa May were among the many world leaders to express their condolences over terrorist attack in central Barcelona.
Trump wrote via Twitter saying “the U.S. condemns the terror attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever is necessary to help.
“Be tough and strong, we love you.”
French President Emmanuel Macron on Twitter in French: “All my thoughts and France’s solidarity to the victims of the tragic attack in Barcelona. We remain united and determined.”
Macron added in Spanish: “Solidarity with Barcelona.
“We stand by her side.”
Spain’s royal palace via Twitter: “These are murderers, simply criminals who will not terrorise us.”
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on Twitter: “Mexico emphatically condemns the attack that took place in Barcelona.
“My solidarity with Spain’s people and government.
“I insist in our rejection of terrorism in all its forms and send our condolences to the families of the victims.”
German Chancellor Angerla Merkel via her spokesman Steffen Seibert on Twitter: Germany is “tightly bound with the people of Spain in this difficult hour.”
Britain’s Theresa May: “My thoughts are with the victims of today’s terrible attack in Barcelona and the emergency services responding to this ongoing incident. The UK stands with Spain against terror.”
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau: “Spain, we grieve with you and denounce hate and violence in all of its forms.”
Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni on Twitter: “Our friend the splendid Barcelona is under attack. Italy stands close to local and Spanish authorities. Our thoughts are with the affected people.”
The Vatican: “The Holy Father is following with great anxiety what is happening in Barcelona.
“The Pope is praying for the victims of this attack and wishes to express his closeness to the entire Spanish people, in particular to those injured and to the families of the victims.”
Chinese President Xi Jinping also extended condolences to Spanish King Felipe VI over the deadly terrorist attacks.