Breaking News
Translate

Agitations, kidnappings: Army unit in communication drill

Kindly Share This Story:

…Attempt to arrest Kanu’ll be catastrophic —Cleric
…It’s threat to Nigeria’s peaceful co-existence —Udeogaranya
…As CD berates Buhari over clampdown order on IPOB

By Chioma Gabriel, Anayo Okoli, Nwabueze Okonkwo & Eric Ugbor

IN reaction to various  agitations, kidnapping and other heinous crimes, the Nigerian Army in Ohafia has set up an indoor telephone battle exercise entitled “Ex Quick Dragon” to douse apprehension and create a sense of urgency among units and personnel across its units and command.

This came as individuals and groups have continued to oppose alleged plan by the Federal Government to re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu, leader of Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.

President Muhammadu Buhari being congratulated by the the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonishakin while the Defence Minister, Alhaji Dan Ali (2l); Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Yusuf Buratai and the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ette Ekwe (r) looked on during a brief colourful Special 74th Birthday Parade to honour the President at the forecourts of the Presidential Villa, Abuja. Photo by Abayomi Adeshida

Declaring the ceremony open yesterday, at the OPS Room of the army command, the commander 14 Brigade, Ohafia, Abia State, Brigadier-General A. K. Ibrahim, said the exercise was aimed at testing the ability of the participants in communication security skills in internal security situation.

He said: “The contemporary Nigeria security situation is riddled by all sorts of agitations, ranging from insurgency in the north to militancy, kidnapping, pipeline vandalism and secessionist movements in southern parts of Nigeria.”

General Ibrahim said this situation called for the “urgent reasons for military formations and other security agencies to exercise periodically to assess its preparedness in tackling the fallout of hydra-headed security threats to the nation.

“The growing secessionist agitations, increased kidnapping incidents and other sundry crimes in the South-East zone has further made the region a hot-bed of insecurity.

“To douse the apprehension and in turn create a sense of urgency among units and personnel under the command as well as encourage inter-agency synergy during emergency security situation, Ex-Quick Dragon as authorized by 82 Division of Nigerian Army and COAS for 2017 is very apt at this time.”

He said Ex-Quick Dragon is an indoor telephone battle exercise aimed at practising operation staff procedure in an internal security (IS) situation.

The exercise, which is scheduled for August 27-31, 2017 will cover all the dynamics involved in various aspects of IS, such as handing and taking over procedure between the military and civil police, especially on crowd dispersal, road blocks, curfew, IDPs, clearing, cordon and search OPS.

Attempt to arrest Kanu ‘ll be catastrophic —Cleric

Reacting to the call to re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of IPOB, the General Overseer of Mount Zion Faith Global Liberation Ministries Inc. (aka By-Fire-By-Fire), Nnewi, Anambra State, Bishop Abraham Chris Udeh, warned that any attempt by the Federal Government to re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu would be catastrophic and bloody.

Speaking to newsmen at his cathedral in Nnewi, Bishop Udeh noted that the spirit also showed him a quiet atmosphere as government allowed Kanu to go about his agitation in a manner that is prescribed by the law.

He noted that the atmosphere had already started charging with the recent broadcast by President Muhammadu Buhari, who gave an open order on the military and the police to shoot IPOB members should they continue to conduct rallies.

The bishop, therefore, cried out to the United Nations and other world leaders, including United States of America, Russia and Israel to urgently intervene and save Igbo youths from being exterminated by President Muhammadu Buhari’s military troops.

Re-arresting  Kanu unnecessary, threat to Nigeria peaceful co-existence—Udeogaranya

In a related development, an  All Progressives Congress, APC, chieftain, Chief Charles Udeogaranya, yesterday, described the plot to re-arrest Kanu as unnecessary, provocative to Igbo leaders and threat to Nigeria’s peaceful co-existence.

In a statement made available to Vanguard, Chief Udeogaranya said:  “While I support and commend the Federal Government’s commitment in their dogged fight in keeping Nigeria one and peaceful, which all patriotic Nigerians desire, the alleged  plan to re-arrest the IPOB leader, Mr Nnamdi Kanu, should be jettisoned.

“By now, it would have been clear to all and sundry that the initial arrest has not helped matters and if he was ignored, perhaps, IPOB and Nnamdi Kanu would have been a non-issue.

“Relatively, tensions in Nigeria have lowered substantially since his release on bail and civil exchanges of ideas have even made him and his followers drop series of provocative ideas and utterances such as ‘No Voting’ and with that, Nigeria is winning. So why fall back from our winning ways?”

CD berates Buhari over clampdown order

Meanwhile, a human rights group, Campaign for Democracy, CD, has scolded President Buhari for ordering the military to clamp down on unarmed Igbo youths who are agitating for restoration of Biafra under the IPOB.

The group said it is against the law for the military to embark on massive killing of unarmed and defenceless citizens who are merely agitating for self determination in line with Chapter 4, Sec. 33 to 41 of fundamental human rights.

the United Nations and other world bodies to intervene and ensure that Igbo youths were not exterminated by the Nigerian military.

Uzor condemned what he termed as sleeping attitude of Ohanaeze Ndibo and other Igbo professionals and stakeholders for not speaking out against such a tall order from Buhari to the Nigerian military.

Identifying with the South-South leaders of thought for their recent condemnation of such an order, CD called on the United Nations, UN ICC, USA, Canada and other world leaders to take notice of Buhari’s directive which they said was a strong indication that Buhari’s regime has extreme hatred for Ndigbo.

CD commended Amnesty International, AI for releasing their recent documented report which showed that over 250 Igbo youths were massacred by the Nigerian security operatives in the name of Rule of Engagement, RoE and urged the AI to commence discreet investigations against the Chief of Army Staff, COAS over the killings.

Kindly Share This Story:
All rights reserved. This material and any other digital content on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from VANGUARD NEWS.

Disclaimer

Comments expressed here do not reflect the opinions of vanguard newspapers or any employee thereof.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!